The Truths About Gambling That Need To Be Told
Open to current volunteers and partners only.
About the course
This course seeks to engage participants to better understand gambling addictions and to equip them with the skills and knowledge to recognize and help problem gamblers.
This 2.5hour session covers:
- Is gambling just another fun activity or game?
- Is money the only cost involved in gambling or what else also is?
- What are the tell-tale signs of problem gambling?
- Gamblers are considered people who keep the loan shark businesses going on – how is that so?
- Do you know that compulsive gambling is making family members being imprisoned financially, socially as well as psychologically? How is that so?
- What are some intervention measures to help the problem gamblers?
About the trainer
Mr Dick Lum is a certified addiction counsellor and a certified solution focused therapist. He holds a Master of Social Science in professional counselling and has substantial years of experience in direct counselling practice with substance abusers, pathological gamblers and their family members as well as others on an array of varied issues in halfway house settings and beyond.
Mr Lum is registered with the Singapore Social Work Accreditation Board as a Social Service Practitioner. He is also one of the certified Crisis Befrienders recognised by the Ministry of Home Affairs.
He served as the Executive Director of One Hope Centre and sits on the Panel of Assessors of the National Council on Problem Gambling for Exclusion Orders.
Married with 3 adult children, he and his family worship at Telok Ayer Chinese Church where he also serves in the Executive Committee.